Educators and Leaders Come Together for AACTE’s Virtual Day on the Hill – Washington Week
AACTE begins its virtual “Day on the Hill” today, September 21, through September 23, as part of AACTE’s Washington Week activities. Themed “Your Voice Matters,” the virtual event enables AACTE members to make their collective voices heard with Members of Congress and their Staff. Prior to their virtual Hill visits, participants engage in orientation and advocacy training in preparation to call for education funding and policy changes focusing on diversity, equity, and inclusion in education and teacher preparation programs. Throughout the sessions, attendees will learn what context to consider when meeting with their legislators and explore the latest developments in Washington.
“AACTE’s leadership as an advocate for higher and K-12 education throughout our nation is powerful,” said Lynn M. Gangone, Ed.D., president and CEO, AACTE. “As our members come together as one voice during Washington Week, they remind our elected officials of the importance of education as the foundation of our democracy and ask our congresspeople to lend their unwavering support to our elementary, secondary, and post-secondary institutions, their educators, and their students.”
The Holmes Program Advanced Policy Short Course preceded Day on the Hill, including a ‘Capitol Hill Briefing’ with House Education and Labor Committee Staff and an interview with Congressman Mondaire Jones (NY-17). During the course, students learned strategies to elevate their research and amplify their voices to positively impact future policy for students of color and other marginalized groups.
Sessions at AACTE’s 2021 Day on the Hill include:
Tuesday, September 21, 2021
- Day on the Hill Opening Session
- The Big Picture: Current Policy & Political Landscape
- Legislative Priorities: Appropriations, the Higher Education Act, Reed/Adams Legislation, and Reconciliation
- What is Advocacy and Why is it Important?
- Using AACTE’s Legislative Priorities for an Effective Hill Meeting
Wednesday, September 22, 2021
- Capitol Hill Panel Discussion
- Education Deans Panel and Town Hall: Building Campus/Program Leadership for Advocacy
- Checking Your Own Politics at the Door: How to Talk with Policy Makers of Either Party and Effectively Tell Your Story
Thursday, September 23, 2021
- Day on the Hill – Virtual House and Senate Congressional Visits
AACTE’s Washington Week activities will conclude with the State Leaders Institute held September 30 through October 1. For more information on AACTE Washington Week 2021, visit aacte.org, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter using #AACTEWW21.
Tags: events, Washington Week