AACTE Contributes to the Interstate Teacher Mobility Compact
As we review the accomplishments of 2022 and look toward a New Year, AACTE is honored to have been one of the national organizations to have contributed to the Interstate Teacher Mobility Compact (ITMC), recently finalized and ready for enactment by states.
Especially in the era of extraordinary teacher shortages, the Interstate Teacher Mobility Compact (ITMC) creates the opportunity for classrooms across our country to have a profession-ready teacher guiding and supporting student’s academic growth.
This initiative began with the Council of State Governments (CSG) partnering with the Department of Defense (DoD) and the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) to support the mobility of licensed teachers through the development of a new interstate compact.
In addition to NASDTEC, the following organizations have contributed to the development process for the Interstate Teacher Mobility Compact:
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
- National Education Association
- Council of Chief State School Officers
- Education Commission of the States
- Southern Regional Education Board
- American Association of School Administrators
- National Conference of State Legislatures
- National Association of State Boards of Education
- National Governors Association
- National Council on Teacher Quality
- National School Boards Association
This compact will create reciprocity among participant states and reduce barriers to license portability and employment. The Compact (ITMC) has been recently finalized and is available for enactment. A copy of the legislation is available. You can continue monitoring the legislation’s introduction and enactment on the Compact’s map. You can learn more about how your state can become a member of the Compact here.