Apply Now to Participate in AACTE’s Consortium for Research-Based and Equitable Assessments
Educator preparation programs have experienced a tumult of change in the last 12 months. Many of our members have experienced decreased enrollment in initial licensure teacher education programs, all during a nationwide teacher shortage. Now, more than ever before, it is our responsibility to consider what may be creating barriers for candidates to enter our programs and our profession. AACTE plans to support member institutions’ examination of assessments used for entry into preparation programs and the barriers they create for potential candidates, especially candidates of color.
In January of 2021 AACTE announced the Call for Applications for the Consortium for Research-Based and Equitable Assessments (CREA). Funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the purpose of the Consortium is to convene stakeholders across various states to (1) examine how cut scores for entrance into educator preparation programs are currently set, (2) identify guidelines and recommendations for setting equitable cut scores for Praxis I and similar assessments, and (3) develop model state policies that seek to attract and prepare diverse teacher candidates for the profession.
The responsibilities of those participating n the Consortium’s will include but are not limited to the following:
- Completing surveys to report on their state’s practices for establishing cut scores;
- Participating in qualitative interviews conducted by AACTE’s consultants;
- Actively participating in quarterly meetings to inform recommendations and guidelines for state leaders;
- Engaging in pre-work in preparation for quarterly meetings;
- Collaborating with state stakeholders during and between quarterly convenings;
- Disseminating the Consortium’s final recommendations and model state policies to state leaders and policymakers; and
- Advocating for equitable practices that will attract diverse teacher candidates into educator preparation programs to address the shortage and diversity crises in the field.
Learn more about the consortium and access the application. Remember, the deadline for submission is February 19, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST, via AACTE’s Submission Center. Applicants will be notified of the review panel’s decision on March 5, 2021.