Mark the Date: Public Schools Week 2021
AACTE is joining its partner Learning First Alliance in celebrating Public Schools Week, February 22-26, 2021, to bring attention to the great accomplishments and great needs of public education. While schools are a place for nurture and learning, the global pandemic has created massive challenges for public schools. Still, public schools across the country have kept 50.7 million schoolchildren, 3.2 million teachers, and many other school staff and parents safe.
According to Learning First Alliance, public schools are emphasizing new goals this year:
- Keep children healthy by creating new educational practices, including cleaning, maintaining social distance, and screening those who need to be treated;
- Feed millions of students outside of school;
- Expand internet connectivity of students;
- Teach more effectively online by adapting existing curriculums; and,
- Increase awareness of racial justice and mental health and seek ways to connect to students who are grieving or traumatized.
To help support the millions of educators across the country, the Learning First Alliance launched publicschoolproud.org to help tell their stories and celebrate our commitment to every child—regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, income, family background, or ability.
AACTE continues to support the public education community in its commitment to learning and growing, and invites members to start thinking of ways you can share the stories of public schools within your community. A list of ideas and sample graphics are available at publicschoolproud.org.