Washington Week: How to Plan Your Stay
Being new to AACTE, I learned a lot about what to expect during Day on the Hill when Deborah Koolbeck and I recently went to the Capitol. I have never been on the Capitol grounds before, although I have lived in the DC area for over 20 years, and it is beautiful. The weather was perfect. View video clip about Capitol Grounds.
So, what can you expect during Day on the Hill? Tuesday will be a full-day of orientation at the hotel where you will build skills and prepare for their meetings with your congressional offices. Then, on Wednesday morning you will be bused to Capitol Hill for scheduled appointments with your elected officials. “But what about their luggage,” I asked? Attendees can bring luggage on the bus to the hill—or you can stay in town a little longer and take advantage of all the activities DC has to offer. View video clip about luggage.
DC has so many options for things to do and see. Here’s a small list:
- Hit the National Museum of African American History and Culture or the National Museum of the American Indian.
- Go see Dorothy’s ruby red slippers and Archie Bunker’s chair at the National Museum of American History. Visit the panda bears at the National Zoo or Apollo 11 at the Air and Space Museum. All Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo are free to the public.
- Head to Lincoln Theater or the Kennedy’s Center to catch a show!
- Head to the farmers market in Eastern Market!
- Enjoy some music at the DC Jazz Festival that starts on June 6.
Being on the Capitol grounds made me think of all the things to do in this area. I asked Deb, “What can the attendees do during their down time between and after their appointments?” You will have an opportunity to go to the Library of Congress, grab coffee or lunch at a nearby restaurant or cafeteria or just sit, relax and take in the beautiful sites. View video clip about down time.
And lastly, I asked, “What should the attendees do after their appointments?” Around 3:00 p.m., everyone is welcome to join a debrief session at the Hawk ‘N’ Dove not far from the Capitol to talk about your day and your experiences. View video clip about Hawk ‘n’ Dove.
I am excited about Washington Week in June and hope you are too. I look forward to seeing you there!
Still need to register for AACTE’s 2019 Washington Week? Secure your spot and discounted hotel rates by May 10. Visit aacte.org.