AACTE Leadership Academy Adding Focus on Exceptional Learners
I am excited to announce that this year’s Leadership Academy will feature new programming related to preparing teachers for exceptional learners. Enhancing an already robust leadership curriculum being offered June 26-30 in Portland, Oregon, we’ve planned a special set of new sessions to engage participants on how to lead programs that prepare teachers to educate every child.
Members of the Collaboration for Effective Educator Development, Accountability, and Reform (CEEDAR) Center at the University of Florida and the Ohio Deans Compact on Exceptional Children are collaborating with AACTE to bring this new dimension to the Leadership Academy. Together, we hope to elevate awareness and interest in serving exceptional learners among decision-makers in teacher preparation. The presentations and conversations with guest experts will create a space in which new and aspiring leaders can learn and gather ideas that can be operationalized in their home colleges and programs.
It is a moral imperative that teachers come out of their programs prepared to address the needs of every learner, regardless of ability, which includes a range of responsibilities—from differentiating instruction to managing high-stakes decisions around students’ educational progress. Ensuring this level of preparation is a shared responsibility across programs, and it is important that deans and directors understand their roles in realizing this goal. Leadership Academy participants will discuss how to implement programmatic and pedagogical strategies with these special guests:
- Mary Brownell, Director of CEEDAR, University of Florida
- Joseph Lubig, Associate Dean and Department Head, School of Education, Leadership, & Public Service, University of Northern Michigan
- Carole Basile, Dean, College of Education, University of Missouri St. Louis
Ohio Deans Compact
- Deborah Telfer, Director, School of Education and Health Sciences Grant Center, University of Dayton
- Aimee Howley, Professor Emerita, Ohio University
- Michael McCormick, Superintendent, Val Verde Unified School District (CA)
Registration for the Leadership Academy is open through June 2. To read about our faculty and speakers, view the week’s schedule, access the hotel link, and register for this special opportunity, visit http://www.aacte.org/professional-development-and-events/leadership-academy.