Alliance: Allow More Time for Implementing Common Core State Standards
Policy makers should allow more time for schools to implement the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), according to a statement released today by the Learning First Alliance.
The Alliance—a partnership of leading education organizations, including AACTE—wants policy makers to make sure instructional alignment and various supports are established before they apply high-stakes consequences to CCSS test results.
In support of this agenda, a new web site houses implementation success stories, such as podcasts from selected states, and a collection of other implementation resources.
AACTE also offers resources for its members to help teacher candidates understand the standards and assessments to prepare their future students for the exams (see below). This month, AACTE is also conducting free webinars in partnership with Achieve, Inc.
- Assessing Student Work in Common Core Standards: A Deep Dive Into EQuIP Rubrics and Student Work Protocols for Mathematics
Wednesday, April 9, 2:00 p.m. EDT
- Assessing Student Work in Common Core Standards: A Deep Dive Into EQuIP Rubrics and Student Work Protocols for English Language Arts
Thursday, April 17, 3:00 p.m. EDT
- Transitioning to the Common Core Standard Assessments: Ensuring Candidate Readiness
Thursday, April 24, 1:00-2:15 p.m. EDT
Find more information on the assessments here:
- PARCC field test information: https://www.parcconline.org/field-test
- PARCC practice tests: http://www.parcconline.org/practice-tests
- Smarter Balanced field test: http://www.smarterbalanced.org/field-test/
- Smarter Balanced practice test: http://www.smarterbalanced.org/practice-test/
- Archived webinar “Getting Ready for the Assessment Consortia Field Tests”: http://all4ed.org/webinar/mar-20-2014/ (transcript of the webinar also provided)
- One-page summaries of the assessments: http://www.k12center.org/
Tags: AACTE partner organizations, assessment, events, program improvement, state policy