Major Forum Preview: Clinical Preparation, From Policy to Research to Practice
AACTE’s Advisory Council of State Representatives (ACSR) will sponsor a major forum at AACTE’s 2014 Annual Meeting focused on “Clinical Preparation, From Policy to Research to Practice: Strengthening the Programs.”
Research and practice have demonstrated for decades that sustained and high-quality clinical experiences positively contribute to the effectiveness of new teachers and to the likelihood that they will stay in the classroom longer. Unfortunately, preparation providers encounter myriad constraints in developing clinical programming, particularly stemming from challenges facing their PK-12 partners. Today’s school systems are being pressured to implement new teacher evaluation systems amidst new standards, new assessments, and changes to tenure laws—all within the context of significant economic hardships. Despite these challenges, many preparation providers are exploring multiple partnerships and intensive clinical programs, such as a full-year internship or residency, with local districts to ensure that their candidates have high-quality experiences.
The major forum, to be held Sunday, March 2, 9:00-10:30 a.m., will feature panelists sharing their research about the costs and benefits of different clinical preparation programs including residency-based models, standards for effective clinical practice, and policies that support or inhibit high-quality clinical programs. The following speakers will serve as panelists:
- David Byrd, cochair, Association of Teacher Educators Task Force on Field Standards, and director, School of Education, University of Rhode Island
- Sarah Silverman, program director of the Education Division, National Governors Association Center for Best Practices
- Pam Grossman, professor, Curriculum Studies and Teacher Education, Stanford University (CA)
- Stephanie Castillo, Teacher Quality Partnership grant recipient and current teacher in Los Angeles Unified School District (CA)
- Moderator: Ann Larson, Southern Representative to ACSR, and president, Kentucky Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
Click here to learn more about the 2014 AACTE Annual Meeting. You can add the ACSR major forum to your personalized schedule using AACTE’s new Event Planner.
Tags: clinical preparation, events, pedagogy, school-university partnerships, state affiliate
Trackback from your site.