AACTE Board of Directors Elects New Leaders, Adopts CAEP Action Steps
During its meeting March 1, AACTE’s Board of Directors chose officers for the coming year to serve with new Board Chair Renée Middleton (see press release).
Effective now through next February, the AACTE Executive Committee includes the following leaders:
- Chair: Renée Middleton, Ohio University
- Past Chair: Jane Bray, Old Dominion University (VA)
- Chair-Elect: Wanda Blanchett, Rutgers University (NJ)
- Secretary: Carol Vukelich, University of Delaware
- At Large: Dianne Mark, Coastal Carolina University (SC), and Ann Larson, University of Louisville (KY)
- Ex Officio: Sharon Robinson, AACTE
The Executive Committee is charged with serving as the interim governing body between meetings of the Association’s Board of Directors, which typically occur in September and February. The Executive Committee considers administrative and management matters pertaining to the Association and studies topics of importance for the Association and educator preparation.
Also during the March 1 meeting, the Board of Directors discussed progress in working with the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and adopted a series of action steps for AACTE and CAEP leaders to pursue in the coming months. These actions steps are as follows:
- Rebrand CAEP as the profession’s accrediting agency, clarifying that its mission is not regulatory but to provide quality assurance through peer review.
- Increase representation from educator preparation providers (EPPs) in CAEP’s governance and clarify AACTE’s role in nominating and supporting volunteers from the field.
- Partner for effective communication with the field.
- Reiterate AACTE staff support for EPP members of the CAEP Board and access CAEP’s Accreditation Information Management System (AIMS).
- Establish a protocol for addressing the field’s complaints and concerns.
- Improve confidence in the reliability of accreditation decisions and in the new “unified process.”
- Establish a timeline and strategy for gaining federal recognition for CAEP.
For more information about AACTE’s governance structure, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 478-4504.
Leave a comment
Manager, State Policy & Relations