ESEA Reauthorization Bill Released
Today, the Conference Report for the reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) was released, manifesting a compromise recently struck between members of the education committees of the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate. The bill, now known as the “Every Student Succeeds Act,” is expected to be voted on by the House this week, followed by the Senate next week. Should both bodies pass this measure, it will be sent to President Obama for his signature.
Of particular interest for AACTE members is Title II: Preparing, Training, and Recruiting High-Quality Teachers, Principals, or other School Leaders, which spans about 100 of the 1,061-page bill (pp. 298-408). One change is to the formula grants to states, which would phase in the following allotment: 80% based on the population of students in poverty in the state and 20% based on the overall student population.
Other highlights of the Title II or the bill overall:
- The Teacher Quality Partnerships are not repealed.
- The waivers are dissolved as of August 1, 2016.
- The GREAT Act can be found integrated into the activities that states can implement with a portion of their formula allotment.
- National activities supported in Title II include Teacher and School Leader Incentive Programs, Literacy for All, and American History and Civics Education.
- Programs of National Significance include Supporting Effective Educator Development (focused on alternative routes to certification or licensure), School Leader Recruitment and Support, Technical Assistance and National Evaluation, and the STEM Master Teacher Corps.
Should this bill be signed into law and once the implementation begins, it will be critical for AACTE members to work with their PK-12 partners, their state’s education agency, and other key partners to ensure the expertise, support, and engagement of the educator preparation profession is present.Please feel free to send me any questions you might have on the bill or the process: firstname.lastname@example.org.